During day to day activities it can be obvious that it’s time to replace certain things. For instance, you know when it’s time to replace your home’s siding, your car’s battery, your dated computer, and light bulbs. How do you determine when it’s time to replace your home’s roof? Maybe you know your roof is dated, or perhaps you’ve been selectively replacing shingles to patch specific problems, but you aren’t quite sure if it’s time for a full roof replacement. Before your home suffers serious damage, you’ll want to assess your roof and replace it when the time is appropriate. Here are some signs to look for that may indicate that it is time to replace your roof.
- Your Roof Is Old. If you know the age of your roof and what type of warranty you have, you can use that information to decide if the time is right. For example, if your roof came with a 20 year shingle warranty and if your roof has not been replaced in about 20 years, then it’s definitely time to consider replacing it.
- The Shingles Appear Worn. If after an inspection, as viewed from the street, you spot some damaged or out of place shingles, it’s time to have the experts come and take a look. Not sure what to look for? Check for broken, curled, stained, missing, or discolored shingles.
- Excessive Granule Loss. If you’ve been noticing small, dark granules that look similar to sand in your gutters, then there’s a chance your shingles are deteriorating.The collection of granules will be located at the base of your downspouts or in the yard.
- Roof Leaks. Make an inspection of the roof decking if accessible (the underside of your roof) and check carefully to see if there are any stains or signs of water leaks along the roof decking or beams. With the recent rain Durham has been experiencing, now would be an opportune time to inspect for leaks. While in the attic turn off the lights to determine if there is any light visible through the roof. These areas of light penetration are usually near plumbing vent stacks and chimneys.
- Is The Roof’s Structure Indicating a Problem? The deck of your roof is the material that the shingles are attached to. If shingles are raised or if there is deflection (sagging) then the roof deck or framing may be weakened or damaged. A professional should be contacted at this point to inspect and assess damages.
Interested in Roof Replacement?
While replacing your roof may be an expensive investment, keep in mind that your roof works to protect the interior and exterior of your home, as well as protecting your largest investment. For such an important undertaking, you’ll want to call in the highly-rated, trusted Durham NC General Contractors, Prince and Sons, Inc. Contact us, as we are fully licensed general contractors, today at 919-383-0888 to schedule an assessment of your roof’s condition.